- Switched Real-Time Communication for Industrial Applications
- Project no: 0005-16
- Magnus Jonsson and Bertil Svensson
- Halmstad University, Sektionen för Informationsvetenskap, Data- och Elektroteknik, CC-lab
- Application and support letters from Ericsson Microwave Systems AB and HMS Fieldbus Systems AB
- Comments by evaluators.
- Support: 1 PhD student for 2 years decided 00-06-16.
- Start: 2001-02-13 with Hoai Hoang as PhD student.
- Reports: Hoai Hoang 2001, Switched Real-Time Communication for Industrial Applications (presented at ARTES Graduate Student Conference 2001)
- Torbjörn Wolfram
- Ericsson Microwave Systems AB
- Divisionen för Flygradar
- Project: Switched Real-Time Communication for Industrial Applications
- Staffan Dahlström
- HMS Fieldbus Systems AB
- Project 1: Real-time Mobile Communication
- Project 2: Switched Real-Time Communication for Industrial Applications
An important trend in the networking community is to involve more switches in the networks (e.g., LAN, Local
Area Networks) and pure switched-based networks becomes more and more common. At the same time, the
industrial communication community has a strong will to adapt LAN technology (e.g. Ethernet) for use in
industrial systems. The involvement of switches does not only increase the performance; the possibility to offer
real-time services is also improved. Now when the cost of LAN switches has reached the level where pure
switched-based networks have become affordable, the collision possibility in IEEE 802.3 (Ethernet) networks
can be eliminated and methods to support real-time services can be implemented in the switches without
changing the underlying wide-spread protocol standard. This project aims to provide such methods with the
focus on industrial applications.
H. Hoang, M. Jonsson, U. Hagström, and A. Kallerdahl, Switched real-time Ethernet with earliest deadline first scheduling - protocols and traffic handling. Proc. Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Real-Time Systems (WPDRTS'2002) in conjuction with International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS'02), Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA, April 15-15, 2002.
H. Hoang, M. Jonsson, A. Larsson, R. Olsson and C. Bergenhem, Deadline first scheduling in switched real-time Ethernet - deadline partitioning issues and software implementation experiments. Proceeding of the 2002 Intl. Workshop on Real-Time LANs in the Internat Age. pp 69-71, Vienna Austria, June 2002.
Hoang, H. Switched Real-Time Ethernet for Industrial Applications. Licenciate Thesis, Technical Report No. 20L, Dept. of Computer Engineering. Chalmers University of Technology. 2003.