- Support for Real-Time 3-D Graphics on Future Mobile Terminals under Energy/Area Constraints
- Project no: 0005-09
- Per Stenström and Fredrik Dahlgren
- Chalmers University of Technology, Department of Computer Engineering
- Application, Letter of intent from Ericsson Mobile Communications
- Comments by evaluators.
- Support: 1 PhD student for 2 years decided 00-06-16.
- Start 2001-12-01 with Magnus Ekman as PhD student.
- Fredrik Dahlgren, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ericsson Mobile Communications AB
- Research, R&D New Systems, Lund
- Project: Support for Real-Time 3-D Graphics on Future Mobile Terminals under Energy/Area Constraints
One of the driving application domains for future mobile terminals is multimedia applications exemplified by video
and high-quality audio processing as well as advanced games. These applications do not only require high peak
performance levels, they also impose stringent real-time demands to provide a high user-perceived quality of
service. At the same time, future mobile terminals must also accommodate other applications with a wide range of
computational requirements that rule out a special-purpose computer infrastructure. What makes the design of the
architecture of this infrastructure even more challenging is that it also must meet stringent constraints on area and
In this research project, our goal is to investigate design principles of a general-purpose single-chip
processor/memory architecture that can provide high and predictable performance for multimedia applications under
challenging constraints regarding chip area and power dissipation.